Donor: WFP

Project Period: September 2015 to March 2016

Project Area: Dolakha district

DEPROSC-Nepal in partnership with ‘WFP’ UN’s food assisting agency provided emergency response and recovery programmes as continuation of WFP’s EMOP program to restore vital life support systems to minimum operating standards and long term activities to enable and help to bring back the lives and livelihood to normal situation through efforts in relief, recovery and rehabilitation in Dolakha district post-earthquake 2015.

The project was implemented in 13 VDCs of Dolakha district lying in the northern part of the district in the lap of Gaurishankar Himalaya range.

Project Activities:

The EMOP III program in Dolakha successfully provided food assistance to 8324 HHs of 13 VDCs under Food for Work (FFW) and Food for Training (FFT) activities. Majority of the works were carried out under Food for Assets schemes wherein the community people worked on rehabilitating and reconstructing the community infrastructures that needed maximum utilization using local resources and unskilled labour with technical support. Community assets like foot trails, cultural sites like temple, gumba, irrigation canal that were damaged by the earthquake were maintained and rehabilitated. The community people worked for a minimum of 40 days and each household that participated in the Food for Assets scheme received 150 KGs of rice and 27 KGs of lentils. Asides these, one training related to agriculture like Kitchen Gardening etc was conducted under Food for Training in 11 VDCs.

The total food commodities distributed under the program stood at 1473.336 MT including 1248.6 MT rice and 124.747 MT lentils. Of these DEPROSC through its 27 FDPs and a TWH distributed 898.629 MT to the community people. 32.179 MT was delivered to the community people via UNHAS and 542.540 MT was delivered through RAO. The food commodities were distributed in two installments. In the first installment every household participating in FFA activities received 40% of food commodities as advance and after completing their involvement in FFA received the remaining 60% of food commodities.

Achievements:

  • The total direct beneficiary population covered by the program was 34373 including 17092 Females.
  • A total of 289 schemes prioritized by the community people and endorsed by the District Disaster Relief Committee, however, 357 schemes were implemented to meet the requirement of 40 working days and 7 schemes were replaced.
  • 111 UCs were formed to oversee the implementation of the 357 schemes and also to look after the repairs and maintenance of the schemes. The UC members were oriented on 3 basic things, objective of the program, roles and responsibilities of the UC and the criteria for beneficiaries’ selection. There were altogether 901 members in the UC including 351 female members.

 

Close Menu